The Tackle Box
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anvil's Beer Batter Tips & Recipe

Go down

Anvil's Beer Batter Tips & Recipe Empty Anvil's Beer Batter Tips & Recipe

Post by The Anvil February 11th 2010, 12:21 am

Hey everyone,
are you looking for a real good beer batter recipe? Want to know some tricks and tips?

Here is some basic info to help you get the best results for Deep Fried Beer Battered Fish.

When deep-frying, it is best to use neutrally flavored oil with a high smoke point, such as safflower or corn oil even Canola oil. The smoke point is the stage at which heated fat begins to emit smoke and acrid odors, and impart an unpleasant flavor to foods. The higher the smoke point, the better suited a fat is for frying. Because both reusing fat and exposing it to air reduces its smoke point, it should be discarded after being used three times. Though processing affects an individual fat's smoke point slightly, the ranges for some of the more common fats are: butter (350 degrees F); lard (361 degrees to 401 degrees F); vegetable shortenings (356 degrees to 370 degrees F); vegetable oils (441 degrees to 450 degrees F)-corn, grapeseed, peanut and safflower oils all have high smoke points, while that of olive oil is relatively low (about 375 degrees F).

here is a link for more info on oil smoke points

[URL="http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm"]
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/CollectedInfo/OilSmokePoints.htm[/URL]

Personally I use Canola for it's high smoke point and it is relatively inexpensive, and use a good beer batter recipe that I got from working at a local eatery years ago.

Beer Batter Recipe
Ingredients

* 3 eggs
* 3/4 cup beer
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 4 cups pastry flour (all purpose will work)
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* salt to taste
* ground black pepper to taste
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

* Extra flour to dredge fish

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Mix in beer. Stir in flour mixture. Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
3. In any deep fryer or a heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. Coat fish in batter, and submerge in hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve.

My advice would be to dredge the fish pieces in flour before dipping in the batter and don't just drop the fish into the oil. You will want to carefully hold it and kinda move it back and forth slightly in the hot oil before letting go.
If you can find a basket that will fit in the turkey fryer, it make's it easier to remove the fish as well.

Cheers everyone,

Let me know how it goes!
cheers

Anvil Evil Grin
The Anvil
The Anvil
Admin

http://thetacklebox.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down